Filipinos Abroad

Buklod encourages Filipinos Abroad to become members of Buklod and participate in its activities. However, it is important that these activities are done in compliance with Philippine laws.

Generally, Filipinos abroad may want to participate in Philippine political activities in the following manner:

• Vote in Philippine elections

• Become members of a Philippine political party and engage in the party’s political activities

• Serve as officers of a Philippine political party

• Campaign for candidates in Philippine elections

• Contribute money to a Philippine political party or a candidate for an elective office

Non-Filipinos are not allowed to engage in the foregoing activities. However, natural born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country can do all these activities, provided that they reacquire Philippine citizenship. In this connection, they must take the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines as acquired under the applicable law, particularly Republic Act No. 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003.

Also, under the same law, natural born citizens who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country and subsequently reacquired it as explained above, may also run for any elective government position. However, they must meet the qualifications for public office as provided in the Philippine Constitution and in applicable laws, and, at the time of the filing of the certificate of candidacy, they make a personal and sworn renunciation of any and all foreign citizenship before any public officer authorized to administer oaths.

For more details, Filipinos Abroad may inquire from the Philippine Consulate nearest their place of residence.

  • manifesto-banner

  • daretodream (1)

  • founder-sidebar